General Advertising Guidelines
- All ads must spawn new window for destination page.
- Sound must be user initiated with sound off button.
- No continuous looping of animation allowed.
- If ads shake or flash, stop animation after 3 seconds.
- Ads cannot mislead user. No false "close-out" boxes, warning messages, etc.
- Click-thru cannot auto-download unless specified as such in the creative.
- Lycos reserves the right to dismiss any creative.
- No advertising for alcohol, gambling (US), prescription drugs, tobacco, religion, politics, guns or sexually explicit themes will be accepted.
- Prohibited Content Types:
- Ads claiming that the user has won a prize are not allowed.
- Ads mimicking computer functions or computer dialogue boxes are not allowed.
- Ads that have mock features, such as drop down menus or search boxes, are prohibited unless the functionality actually work.
- Page takeovers.
Available Tag Sizes (html, swf, jpeg, gif files)
(Maximum upload file size of 82KB)
We also accept the following ad unit types:
- Full Page
- Half Page
- Page Skins
- Page Peels
- Push Downs
- Custom Sponsorships
General Lycos Competitor Restrictions
- No creatives which advertise ANY of the following services:
Web Hosting/ Web Publishing
- E.g. Bravenet, BuyDomains, Fortune City
Casual Gaming Sites
- E.g. Pogo.com, GameVance, Pop Games
- E.g. Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL Mail
- E.g. Google, Dogpile, Live Search, AOL Search
Video (VAST) ad format for Adap.tv server
Ad format description
This ad format provides a way to display a video ad with an optional companion banner, when the ad is served in the VAST 1 or VAST 2 format (as defined by IAB) from an external ad server.
The video creative can be in the FLV (preferred), MPEG-4 or OGG format. Progressive delivery via HTTP is supported; streaming video is not.
The following formats are supported for the companion banner:
- Images (jpg, gif, png)
- Flash rich media (SWF)
The following tracking events are supported, as defined by IAB:
Wrapper ads are supported. The following VAST elements take no part in the ad-rendering functionality:
- Video Duration (duration is derived from the FLV metadata and not from the VAST element)
- MediaFile bitrate, width, height (also obtained from FLV metadata)